Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Caged Babies: Saving our Sanity

Only $5.99 at your General Store!
   

    My oh my how things have changed.  Its a shame they don't sell these anymore.  It is multifunctional too!  Comes with curtains for a breezy sleep nook! Remove the padding and no need for diapers or bibs! Oh how well people had it back then!  I'm kidding... I think I am anyways.  If it's not a window cage its something else.  A playpen, a gated room, a locked closet (wait what?).  These are all techniques us moms introduce to maintain our sanity.  Some nights (last night for me) we get very little sleep.  Our babies have their own schedule and for the first little while we follow it whether we like it or not.  Even if it means party time at 4am.  So to get that extra dose of morning caffeine, or even a little shut eye, we have to find little tricks to save our sanity.

Bars & Baby Einstein

   
          So many people talk about how important it is for human interaction and how couch potato children have poor health and social skills.  Those people had Nannies.  Yeah yeah I get it, I need to sing to my baby and stuff.  But I also need my sleep.  I need to shower.  I need to do laundry.  I need to eat.
And on a good day, I need to have a nice relaxing poop.  So sue me if I throw my baby in a crib and play a movie for him.  He gets some chill time and I get to have some privacy in the washroom.

Tummy Time with big cousin Cohen!









 This isn't the only time I use media as a babysitter by the way.  My baby hates tummy time.  He has hated Tummy Time since day 1.  I used to prop him up a little with a rolled up towel but he is now long past that.  Since he has figured out how to roll from tummy to his back Tummy Time has been an even bigger challenge.  He lasts about 10 second on his front until he decides to roll over.  This shouldn't be a big deal for most moms but it is for me.  He has some issues on one side of his neck and shoulders causing him to always turn to that side (another breastfeeding challenge).  This was likely caused by high forcep delivery when he was yanked from me in the most aggressive way possible.  His pediatrician said that more tummy time can help balance this out.  So how do I get him to stay on his tummy?  Baby Einstein of course!  I've tried throwing toys and books on the floor infront of him but he's just not interested yet.

            It is very important to have these methods or you end up doing stupid shit.  Take the picture below for example:
        This is our Diaper Genie.  Full of dirty diapers and last nights explosion perched on top.  The blue bag hangs down with that oh so important knot tied at the bottom.  Well guess what I forgot to do last time I changed the Diaper Genie.  Tie a freaking knot.  So this mess is what I blindly stuck my hand into this morning when I went to change the bag.  Delightful.  I was in such denial I called my husband and asked if he changed the bag last.  I was thinking I could not have done such a thing!  I did.  He hasn't ever changed it and doesn't even know how it opens.  I had to accept the facts: I'm an idiot.  Apparently I need to cage my baby more often.  A sane mom is a happy mom, and a happy mom has a happy baby!













1 comment:

  1. Asher's face has definitely smacked the blanket a few times during tummy time. Note the slobber markings.

    ReplyDelete