Sunday, January 15, 2012

Are you Co-Sleeping or just lazy?

       Lazy.  Yep. I'm incredibly lazy.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't think co-sleeping families are lazy.  I am just saying that the sole reason Ash ends up in our bed at some point in the middle of the night, is because I'm L.A.Z.Y.

L = Laying, specifically in bed, under my warm covers, until at least 7am.
A= Attitude, mine is severely impaired if I am tired.  Some may even say slightly delusional.
Z= Zebras, shut up.
Y= Yawning.  I have a severe problem with it if Im tired. Like my eyes water all day and my husband tries to throw things in my mouth.  He used to stick his finger in my mouth when I was yawning too much.  I bit it. That story is for another day.


      
        Dr. Sears and Dr. Newman have done tons of research on how co-sleeping reduces the risk of SIDS (something about breathing patterns synchronizing with the mothers so the likelihood of baby stopping breathing is reduced).  They also advocate it because it is incredibly natural and beautiful.  I think it can be kinda gross.  Asher is a sweaty, sweaty baby.  He has a bath every day because his head seriously stinks.  Wherever he sleeps, wether it be in his crib, your arms, or the bed, he turns into a furnace.  Every morning there is a long strip of sweat from where he was sleeping.  Which is awesome by the way, when you roll into it face first in the middle of the night.  I always roll into something gross.  Could be a sweat spot, drool, spit up, or my own leakage.  Gross.  I've tried shoving him to Ryan's side of our roomy double bed but it doesn't work.  He tends to drift towards the milk factory.

     So why the hell do I let him sleep with us? Take a look at that pie chart above.  See that orange piece of the pie? Sleep Deprivation? That's why!  I would personally switch sleep deprivation for unconditional love on the pie chart but don't tell Asher that.  When you have a baby that for the first month and a half woke up in the middle of the night gagging and turning blue due to thrush and swelling of his throat, you need to just survive somehow.  Asher was a very sick little boy.  Even though he is better now, I can't seem to bring myself to sleep train him.  He feeds frequently between 3am and 7am.  I tend to be sleeping during that time.  I would rather bring him into bed, roll over, flop out a boob (yes flop, some may even heave) and go back to sleep knowing that he will find it, eat, and go back to sleep himself.  My alternative isn't as easy.  I could feed him, rock him to sleep, put him crib, and repeat every 1.5-2 hours.

    So there.  I admitted it.  Think what you want, but this works for us.  I don't think he will be spoiled.  I don't think he will develop sleep issues.  I don't think he will develop attachment issues.  I couldn't do this long term mind you.  The second this little turd starts sleeping through the night he's in his crib full time.  I think its great those of you who by 3mos have their babies sleeping perfectly in their cribs only to wake for a feeding or two.  Good for you.  I also think its great those of you who choose to co-sleep for as long as your little one is willing.  Everyone feels secure, safe, and snuggly.  I see both sides to the debate on whether co-sleeping is good for a family or not.  Right now its good for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment