Friday, February 3, 2012

Fabriclaaaand FABRICLAND

Tell me their age old jingle won't be stuck in your head now all day after reading that title.  I wonder who came up with it?  Who do they have on their marketing team? I can imagine some team of men (obviously) sitting around a table trying to write a jingle for commercials.  Some guy says (and I hear him as Chris from Family Guy) why don't we just say the name twice, the second time we can say it quicker than the first to save on air time.  And they all cheer and bump chests.


Anyways back on topic.  I went to Fabricland determined to make a Taggie blanket and matching larger blanket for Asher.  I saw something similar at a store and didn't want to pay for something that seemed so simple.  Problem is, I haven't sewn since grade school Home Economics class and that was a looooong time ago.  I have also never bought fabric or thread or anything of the sort from a store.  So I walked into Fabricland feeling a little lost.  It was busy full of women and cute old ladies.  Don't let the grannies fool you though.  They mean sewing business.  I got a lot of mean stares and even a slight hip check from one as I was stumbling around the store.  I had never been there before cut me some slack!  Bitch puh-lease! So I gave them the finger behind their backs and continued shopping.




I felt so lost when I had actually found my fabric.  Where were the scissors? Do I cut it? Do they cut it? Do I tear it with my teeth?  Customer service was sub par if you ask me.  They should have caressed me like a little lost puppy when I walked through that door.  Alas, I had to come to my own defenses.  I put the fabric on the table.  Nobody came.  I unraveled it a little and looked around a bit making sure to make direct eye contact with a few staff members.  Nobody came.  So I reached my arm ever so slowly toward the scissors.  Nobody came.  Boy when my fingers touched ever so lightly those scissors all hell broke loose.  I had a staff member charge me from across the store, grab me around the waist and slam me down to the ground while screaming "WE DO THE CUTTING!!!!"  Ok.  Maybe not that scenario exactly but that's what it felt like. So a few minutes and a few tears later I had my fabric.

The sewing and pinning is another story altogether.  Pinning the two pieces of fabric together was difficult because one material was stretchier than the other.  I was sweating and bleeding everywhere.  I have never been filled with so much rage in my life.  It was hard nonetheless.  The sewing was a bit more serene.  I had help from my mother-in-law and a neighbour.  They laughed at how slow I went but I did it.  I did it.  I can say that my son LOVES his blankie and it already goes everywhere with him.  I did it!!!!
The tags are great for chewing during teething.

Om Nom Nom

Finished Product


Special Thanks to Mary Jane for finding the Giraffe print in Paris, Glenda and Theresa for helping me pin and sew, and Ashleen for finding some skinny giraffe ribbon for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment